You know the problem with blogs? What does a person even write about in a blog? A blog is a tool created to gush about a gazillion insignificant things to quite possibly nobody in particular, when one is too bored to articulate something worth hearing.
So here’s to rambling and fresh starts.
It sounds like the last time I wrote was sometime during first semester, when I was just getting into the whack of things. Well, I’ve come a long ways since then. Especially with art. I’ve been painting regularly in order to complete a painting for my AP Art class every week. It’s a lot of pressure and hardly easy, but it’s worth it. Producing a painting every week has taught me a lot about painting.
I don’t think anything interesting happened today, so let’s skip today. Instead, let’s talk about my computer for a minute. My desktop computer died last week, leaving me in a tough spot with the AP Art situation, especially since it died right in the middle of a painting. However, on Saturday we went out and got a laptop for my graduation present so that I could work while the desktop was getting fixed. So, for now I’m operating on the laptop. This is good! A nice time for the two of us to get acquainted. I’ve named it Commander Shepard.
Speaking of Commander Shepard, Mass Effect 2 came out on January 26th. I think I stopped posting on the blog before I got too terribly obsessive, but I’ve always been completely in love with the Mass Effect setting, so right around November or December 2009 I started to get really obsessive over all of the promotional footage. I drooled over every detail I could find. And I wasn’t disappointed in the slightest. Now, ME2 is considered one of the best video games of all time (woo!). I’m still as obsessive as ever- I even got my collector’s edition of the game installed and running on my laptop (a little laggy, but it works!).
Why do I bring this up? Well, it really comes down to something that I’ve been wondering about for a long time. As a kid I loved high fantasy- R.A. Salvatore, D&D, sword and sorcery sort of stuff. But once I hit eighth or ninth grade, that really started to change. I got into things like Firefly and Mass Effect. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Bioware FTW). Battlestar Galactica. Ever since then, I’ve realized that virtually everything that really fascinates me in the media world is sci-fi. Movies, books, TV shows, online RP, even my own writing, I just can’t seem to get enough of it. I think it stems from my love of fantasy mingled with my addiction to the digital advent. I’m not knowledgeable enough about Ye Olde World to get away with high fantasy anymore, but science fiction is something that I can understand. I may not be George Lucas with the ability to spin out things like broken hydrospanners and armies of bounty hunter clones, but I know how to see some upcoming technology and say it’s cool and implement it into a futuristic setting, or to experiment with issues of the past and present and place them into a highly advanced dystopia.
It makes me wonder where I’m going to be in ten years. Just like everybody else, I’m desperately wanting to make it as an artist. But I know it’s going to be hard. I’ll have to work and work just to be good enough to survive the industry, and beyond that, I’ve heard from big time artists who say how completely draining it is to have to be creative all the time and to come up with ideas to sell to a mass audience. But this is what I want to do. I like to challenge myself with new ideas and new obstacles, so what better way to do that than to cater to a client? A dream job would be to do concept art for a franchise like Mass Effect- maybe a great TV show or video game, especially since sci-fi is becoming more and more popular. But who knows. It’s all a matter of seeing how things play out.
I’m looking at colleges. The two contenders at this point are Southern Utah University and Utah State University. Utah State has the superior ranked art program, and many if not most of the people I know at Bingham are going to Utah State. However, Southern Utah has great value, and I’ve been on campus. I know I like the feeling there. I’ve also met the head of illustration there, who does a lot of digital painting; ergo, I know that they would be able to help me with what I want to learn there. Utah State I have yet to see. Nevertheless, I won’t rule one or the other out until I’ve done my campus visits and learned what I need to learn about them.
So, on that note, here’s to restarting my blog!

0 comments:
Post a Comment